The Board of Governors announced today that Phase Two of Tormead’s redevelopment programme to improve the Senior School site and facilities has been approved. Phase One, which was completed in August, boasts new common rooms for both the Sixth Form and Year 11, new Art rooms and a new drop-off zone for coaches.
“We are delighted with today’s decision as this phase of the redevelopment programme will provide our pupils and staff with access to a modernised teaching and learning environment,” said Mrs Christina Foord, Headmistress. “The new facilities will do more than transform the face of the school: they will deliver substantial educational opportunities for Tormead girls, both now and for generations to come.”
Work on Phase Two will commence in July 2014 and will take 14 months. The scope of this inspirational project will include:
- a new pupil entrance into the heart of the school, linked to the coach drop-off zone completed in Phase One.
- an extended dining area, which will increase seating capacity to allow for more flexible timetabling and civilised lunchtimes.
- breakout areas throughout the school, providing space to think, collaborate and reflect.
- larger classrooms to allow for more flexible teaching styles.
- wider corridors.
- full disabled access throughout the Senior School site.
“Plans to prepare the school for this decision have been underway since the completion of Phase One last summer,” said Mrs Foord. “It is with great excitement and enthusiasm that we embark on the most ambitious plan for a school’s modernisation that Guildford has witnessed in some years.”
During the Phase Two period, the building work areas will be clearly segregated from day-to-day activities. Fully-functioning temporary classrooms and staff offices will be erected on the school field to support seamless teaching and learning. Existing buildings that will be unaffected and utilised as normal include the Sports Hall, JCS Performing Arts Building, Sixth Form Block, Year 11 Common Room, Main Hall, Home Economics, Art and Science Blocks.